8.11.10

Basic UV Mapping Tutorial

I have recently started to play with UV mapping so I decided to create a tutorial, I hope you find It useful.


Step 1: Open blender, delete the default cube and add a UV Sphere.







Step 2: Now that the model is there, you need to split the windows. This is done by right clicking the top of the 3D view and choosing split. In the other window we will want to choose UV/Image Editor.



  
Step 3: We will now unwrap the mesh onto the UV/Image Editor. Select the faces you want to apply the image to, then press U and click unwrap. The faces should show in the other window. After this select all the other faces of the mesh and unwrap, scale and move all these outside of the actual image.


With the faces selected, (the ones you want to apply the image to) scale these by pressing S when all highlighted and align to the image in the UV editor window, as shown below.
You will be able to see this in real time if you are in texture view.




Step 4: Next we will create the actual material, go into shading ( press f5 ) and add new. This will change the window, now press F6 this will go into texture mode. Add a new texture and choose image from the drop down menu then open our UV image we are using.




Step 5: Now go back into the material we created and go down to the end box, edit it as I have done in the picture. This will apply the image to UV.  After that click map to and change the settings to multiply, this is just what I have chosen, feel free to play around.



And thats it just click the camera and render your UV map, remember if you want to change the colour of the model just do that in materials where the default colour was white.









Here is the UV map I used in case anyone wants to practice with it. Thanks for reading, any problems just comment.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hay, thank you for the video (its real helpful to me) I am new to Blender (2.55) and am slowly getting the hang of it!!! Any idea on how I can render a scene with a picture or video footage in the back ground (backdrop) I am sure the option was is 1.49 (last version I tested) only just returned to blender ;) I think it might have something to do with enviroment map or nodes but am just grabbing at straws!! Thank you once again for a great video and for taking the time to help new people with Blender (like myself) your a star :>